Tuesday, November 8, 2011

"Come to Me When You Are Weary"

"Come to me all you who are weary, and I will give you rest!"

What a hope and promise that God offers to us and freely gives to us, rest for our weary, tired souls!

There's a difference between feeling tired and weary, even though there is a relationship between the two. I am usually tired because I haven't taken the time for the rest and sleep that my body needs. For the most, being tired is a physical reaction.

For me, there is more depth to feeling weary. Weariness involves my state of being in my heart and soul; it's often about my spirit within me. There are many things that affect our spiritual state of being. Relationships with others, especially if they are strained; a situation where we work; family dynamics; a world issue or crisis; politics in an organization we belong to; issues that affect the church; and the list could go on.

Likewise, I believe that there can be what I'll call institutional weariness. Because of the environment I work in as a priest, I see that prevalent within the church. Being confronted with financial crisis, dwindling congregations, aging parishioners, buildings that are in need of restoration and repari and fewer volunteers to take on the various roles and ministries, it's no wonder we can be drawn into a weariness that is sometimes all consuming and overwhelming.

There are many things that lead us to feel weary, both individually and collectively. Thankfully, the gospel promises us that if and when we go to Christ, no matter how weary we're feeling, or what is the cause of our weariness, we will experience rest that is renewing and restoring for our souls. That doesn't mean the burden is completely lifted. However, we don't ever have to carry the heaviness on our own; God is present with us; God is a source of inspiration, new hope and newness of life.

I personally find myself feeling weary and am grateful for the gospel message that helps me find rest and peace. This hymn takes the essence of the message from Matthew 11: 25-30, such a well known passage, especially within our traditional Anglican liturgy.

"Come to Me When You are Weary"

Tune: Hymn to Joy
Meter: 8787D


Daily life is often weary, overwhelming us with stess.
God is present in each moment; God’s desire is to bless.
Troubles all around us spiral, burdens break our spirits down
We are never our own, trust the gospel we’ve been shown.

Come to me when you are weary, come to me and find relief;
I will give you rest and freedom in whatever causes grief.
Are you tired; feeling worn out; troubled with uncertain faith;
Come to me; I’m right here with you, offering the gift of grace.

Not just on our own we’re weary but as faithful people too,
day to day we’re often challenged as we pause and take review.
But together, through the Spirit, ours a confident new life;
we can be restored with promise; we can be renewed from strife.

Walk with me, I’ll walk with you too, as we journey on the way;
nothing heavy, no great burden tempting us to go astray.
Keep on living, keep believing, faithful on the path we walk;
come to me when you feel weary, trust that I will be your rock!


Text: copyright, The Rev. Mark Kinghan, 2011. Not to be reproduced or redistributed in any form without the express written permission of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment