Tuesday, March 10, 2009

10 Commandments hymn ... Contemporary hymn for Lent

As I reflected on the first reading in the lectionary for this Sunday (Lent 3), and on what I might preach, I realized that many people see these commandments as just rules to follow or else they will be punished by God. Instead of this, I'm exploring the idea of these commandments being a gift from God which are meant to free us just as the people of Israel were liberated from their slavery. As a gift, if we live in that freedom God has given us, following these logical guidelines for our living in relationship with God and with others, then our lives as individuals and as a whole society will be blessed.

With these intial thoughts, I set out to write the text of a hymn which is sung to the tune "Westminster Abbey".

“I Am God, Your Own True God”
Based on the 10 Commandments
Tune: LMD Westminster Abbey


I am God, your own true God; I have brought you to this place;
On a journey out of slavery, into freedom by my grace.
Promised life you will inherit, full of blessings to embrace.

I am God, your own true God; I take pleasure in this gift!
This new life beyond your slavery brings redemption free and clear.
Make your choices; build your friendships always faithful to my Word.

I am God, your own true God; in your freedom take your rest.
Now live free of lifeless idols, free of jealous envy.
Free from stealing, free from lying, free from murderous tyranny.

I am God, your own true God; now you need not be afraid.
Not condemning, not demanding, these commands bring unity.
Blessed life in God’s communion lived within community.

I am God, your own true God; ours today as yesterday.
Still we’re called to faithful living our redemption to embrace.
Still a blessing, meant for freedom, gift of God a gift of grace.

Text: copyright, The Rev. Mark Kinghan, 2009. Not to be reproduced or redistributed in any form without the express written permission of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment